Sunday, August 5, 2007

These are a Few of my Favorite Things..."A to Z" and "OCD"

Okay, I have some really weird habits (um...compulsions) revolving around certain numbers and words, and I sometimes wonder if I am the only one. When it comes to numbers, I don't like odd numbers...not at all. The volume on my car radio has to be on an even number (even though my husband thinks that it is hilarious to adjust the volume to an odd number, just to see how quickly I will change it), same with cooking times in the microwave, and the number of times I shake a bottle. I know, these are some weird habits. My favorite numbers are 18 and 36, so I try to incorporate them as much as possible...36 seconds to heat up an 8 oz. bottle, volume set on 18 in the car, etc.

I also love certain words...I just refer to them as "great words" when telling my husband about them (and I wonder why he looks at me like I am crazy 99.9% of the time). Here are my favorite words from "A to Z:"

Abhor
Boorish
Conundrum
Dilapidated
Exacerbate
Fribble
Glockenspiel
Harangue
Inexorable
Juxtaposition
Kiester
Lackadaisical
Macabre
Nosh
Oocyte
Peculate
Quixotic
Rudimentary
Spasmodic
Tantalize
Ubiquitous
Venerable
Whelp
Xenophobe
Yowl
Zydeco

Even The Fred has picked up some of my favorite words. The other day she tried to say "dilapidated"...although it sounded more like "duh-dap-uh-dated." Hopefully, she won't inherit my number compulsions as well.

In addition to my compulsions, I am continually adding to my database of "Mostly Useless Knowledge." In this database, I was once able to recite 320 digits of Pi, can tell you at least 90% of the elements on the periodic table, am able to regurgitate the Prologue of The Canterbury Tales in Middle English, and am able to tell you a large number of structures in the brain as well as all of the cranial nerves. I know...who cares? And this is probably why I have insomnia...I just can't seem to make my brain stop thinking about all of this useless dribble.

Please tell me that I am not the only one (or at least lie to me).

3 comments:

J said...

You are not the only one. In the car I pronounce words that I see on signs backwards. I support my inner freak.

MommaDrool said...

Thank you for your willingness to admit that we are both freaks!

Reese Elizabeth Collier said...

Yes, you are not the only one. I, too, do not prefer odd numbers, unless they are divisible by something (like 9 is OK, 15 is OK). I even thought about this when we were looking at a date for Reese's induction (2/15). I'm nutz, I know. I usually have the television and radio on even-numbered volumes, too. And the same for microwave times, too. Since I enjoy writing, I enjoy words, too. And like you, I have favorites, too. It's nice to know I'm not the only one either!