Sunday, August 26, 2007

Payback


I am starting to think that SweetBoy might be the most laid back little individual ever. He seems to be perfectly content just hanging out, sucking his thumb, watching the world at work. Even the past few days, while running a very high fever, he has remained content...besides needing a little bit extra TLC. Sometimes, I wonder how I ended up with two great kids...and then, I remember that I am likely to receive my payback in adolescence.

Speaking of adolescence, what is up with the goth/emo kids at the mall that scare all of the old people? You know who I am talking about. They hang out around Hot Topic, wear solid black from head to toe or look like they are dressed like clowns, and move in packs...generally, just looking like they could be members of the trench coat mafia.

The Husby and I were enjoying a stroll around the mall after dinner the other night when we saw an interaction between two of these packs: a clown-looking group of young girls and an emo group of boys...three on three. We heard the girls giggle as they passed by and one of the girls said, "He is so wet!" Excuse me? Wet? What the heck does that mean? Is that like hot? And then I realized...I HAVE BECOME MY PARENTS!!!

I could hear the exchange between me and my father replaying in my head...

Me: "John David and I have been going together for two weeks now."

My Dad: "Going together? Well, where are you going?"

Me: "Daddy, that is not what that means! It means he is my boyfriend! That's what it's called!"

Wow...I guess it kind of snuck up on me. I really hadn't planned to become my parents just yet, but I guess there is no time like the present. Mark my words though...if either of my kids decide they want to be goth/emo/clowns, I will be forced to make fun of them daily and become the obnoxious, uncool parent...just a warning.

No comments: