Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Favorite Recipe: MommaDrool Meatloaf


Well, several of us discussed meatloaf at the park today, and although, it is normally not a part of my normal cooking fare, I decided I would whip some up for dinner tonight. One of my grandmothers used to tell me that meatloaf could be made with a pound of ground beef and any leftovers you can find in the fridge. Even though I respect and enjoy most of her cooking decisions, this is one that I was never able to take to heart...reminds me of mystery meat. Instead, this is a more traditional take on meatloaf with a little pizazz...sorry, that's a word in my grandmother's repertoire, so I thought I would throw it in for good measure! Enjoy!

MommaDrool Meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 and 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1/2 can tomato sauce
2 bacon slices

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together ground beef and next nine ingredients (through diced tomatoes) until combined.
2) Shape mixture into one loaf (9 x 4 inches) and place in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan.
3) Pour tomato sauce over loaf and arrange two bacon slices on top.
4) Bake for one hour and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

*Yankee Belle* said...

If only I could get someone to cook it for me too! Sounds sooo good.

Unknown said...

I just love your recipe section. Makes me so hungry! I am in dire need of comfort food right now as I am in the middle of 1/2 term finals while still trying to maintain sanity in full-term classes.

Anonymous said...

Could you please just cook it and run it by this evening?

Oh, and bring Photoshop with you, too. Thanks.

MommaDrool said...

BlueMomma-

Are you using me for my cooking-savvy and my techie-know-how?

Oh, it feels good to be used!

Allison-

Good luck with 1/2 term finals...I am glad that one of us can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!