Monday, November 26, 2007

Call It What You Will

As most of you know, I live in a house that was built in 1929, so there are enough "fixer-upper" projects to last us a lifetime...or at least another 78 years. Since we have moved into our home, we have had project..after project...after project. Although, there is a great deal of dispute between my Husby and me about what is considered a "project" and what should be considered "maintenance." The way I look at it, it's all a project. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for making reasonable improvements to our home, but there are some disadvantages to "weekend project time"...let me give you a list to explain...


1) It is the weekend, and I would like to spend time with the kids AND my Husby.

2) Project Time=MIA Husby=No Fun for MommaDrool

3) Projects mean lots of supplies to make improvements...this stuff takes up residence in our home and is never small in size or quantity (i.e. sheets of drywall and rolls of insulation).

4) Husby wants MommaDrool to participate, and as much as she wants to help, she hates helping when she has no idea what the hell she is doing...I need instructions...a manual with pictures would be nice.

5) The kiddos can't participate, so MommaDrool must monitor children while attempting to assist.

(Now, these are just a few of my reasons...trust me, I have plenty more...)

After a very busy Thanksgiving holiday, we return home on Friday evening, and I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of the weekend with my family. When I wake up on Saturday morning, Husby is no where to be found. This is not surprising to me in the least, so I start checking all of the usual locations that mean a project is underway...

The front door is locked, so I know he isn't under the house...
He isn't in the hall bathroom...
I check the backyard and don't see him, but I can hear him talking...
I walk to the gate and notice that he is on his cell phone...
He doesn't see me, so he gets into the car and turns on the engine...
I walk to the passenger side door and knock on the window...
He turns off the car, gets out, and says those five fateful words, "I'm going to Home Depot."

Now, I hate to stay at home all day, so I ask if we (me and the kiddos) can go too. The Husby tells me that if we want to go, we are going to have to follow him in the other car because we won't fit with all of the "stuff" we have to get at Home Depot.

We go back inside to get the kids ready to go, and the Husby is being nice...too nice. The only thing I can delineate is that this must be a big project...a very big project.

Although, the Husby swears that he told me "a few weeks ago." I can promise you that I had no idea what was about to happen, or that it was going to happen that day. At Home Depot, we purchased drywall, insulation, drywall mud, screws, etc. As you have probably suspected, the Husby has made the executive decision (yes, "dx," in my house, the Husby is Senior Management) to tear down the drywall in our bedroom, put up insulation, put up new drywall, and re-paint the room. Sheesh! Did I mention that we are hosting his office Christmas party at our home in two weeks?

At two o' clock, the kids go down for their nap...the Husby starts being "ooey-gooey" nice to me... and the remodeling begins. Well, at least we joined some friends for the Iron Bowl that evening, so the day ended with me drinking. Here are some pics from our day of fun!
By the way, this is a project that is still in progress...expected completion is next weekend...
(Yes, Husby, I do love you...very much...you and your projects. I told you this would end up being Blog fodder...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a good honey.

Anonymous said...

I am terribly jealous of your hubby and his desire to do projects. Mine complains that projects are too much work, though it is always me doing the work.

Do you think he would give lessons?

*Yankee Belle* said...

If my hubby changed a light bulb I would throw a party. I am jealous!!!