Thursday, September 4, 2008

You Could Have Left That Part Out


Ifinally made an appointment with a family medicine physician here in town and met with him yesterday afternoon. "Doc AM" has been telling The Husby and I since we moved here that we really needed to find a family doctor and quit using the "doc-in-the-box" for all of our ailments. Well, since I needed a physical examination and several immunizations for my medical clearance at the hospital, I figured that there was no time like the present.

Upon my arrival at the physician's office, I filled out and signed all of the necessary paperwork before following the nurse back to my exam room. The nurse was friendly and did a thorough background history before asking me the reason for my visit. I gave her the forms that needed to be filled out and signed for the medical clearance with a list of the immunizations that I needed. She told me that the doctor would be in soon and left the exam room.



I was pleased to meet the doctor, and he reminded very much of my OB/Gyn at the hospital where StickyBun-Scotti was born. Since I loved my OB/Gyn, I was pretty sure that this doctor would be someone that I would want to see again in the future. After some discussion, the doctor exited the room and let me know that the nurse would be back to give me my immunizations as well as draw blood for a titer test.

Normally, I am not fearful of having blood drawn or getting a shot, but I don't look forward to it. I also don't like to watch it happen to me...if it is someone else, I enjoying watching...I just would rather not watch when I am the patient.

As the nurse walks back into the room, she says something that I wish she had just left out, "I haven't done this many times before. I am still in school, so you may have to be patient with me. I haven't gotten really good at it yet."

WHAT!!!???

Now, I know that this could be me one day, but I also know that there are some times when it is better to keep your mouth closed. With those words, I had to try as hard as possible not to have an anxiety attack. I was just happy that I was the patient and not The Husby. If he had been the patient in that situation, he would have gotten up and walked out...or maybe he would run...and never gone back.

I wasn't too worried about her lack of experience when it came to the immunizations, but the blood draw had me a bit worried. I became even more worried when the nurse said, "Well, I want to make sure that I can find the vein before I start." You think?! After three sticks with the needle, she was successful, and I left there feeling like a pin cushion.

The moral of this story is..."Some things are better left unsaid."

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I agree! Don't tell me I'm practice...I can't take it!!!

I hate needles and I hate when they have to draw blood which is more often these days because of my thyroid.

One time, I actually behaved worse than the KID sitting in the chair next to me who was having his blood drawn.

He got the sucker and I got the look of incredulous disbelief. How is that fair?

I'm a Mom!..? said...

YIKES!!! I'm with the Husby on this one.. run, very very fast!