Monday, October 3, 2011

Can't Carry a Tune

Prior to surgery, Dr. Best let me know that there may be some side effects associated with surgery.  Because the vocal chords are manipulated during surgery, changes to the voice can occur that may be temporary or can turn out to be permanent.  For me, the changes have been pretty noticeable.  My voice is not as strong as it was before, and it takes a lot more effort for me to speak at higher volumes.  One thing that my husband and children love is that I can no longer yell.  Yep, that's right, not at all.  I can't get my kids attention if I try.  Which is kind of nice, because now, I don't even try to yell.  Another noticeable change is that I can't sing anymore...can't carry a tune in a bucket.  I'm not saying that I was some incredible singer to begin with, but I could sing...as only my show choir and musical theater peeps would know.  Now, I need Songify just to sing along with the radio.  It is awful...flat, tone deaf awful.  It makes me laugh.  I'm starting to think that my kids and The Husby are reaping the benefits here...no yelling and no singing.

All is well, I am feeling okay.  The best way to describe how I feel is "like I am nine months pregnant."  Everything is exhausting, my muscles hurt, my joints hurt, and my brain is foggy.  Hopefully, all of this will go away after I complete treatment, and they begin supplementing me with T4.  Right now, all I am getting is T3, and it just doesn't seem to be doing the whole job.  I will start treatment sometime in November.  My appointment with the endocrinologist is on November 7th.  After meeting with him, I will be taken off of all supplementation and start a special diet for two weeks before treatment.  Once I start the radioactive iodine treatment, I will be admitted to the hospital for three days before I can be discharged.  I won't be able to return home for almost 2 weeks following the start of treatment since I can't be around women of child-bearing age or children.  That will probably be the hardest part...going without seeing my babies for so long.  It makes me sad to even think about it.  The Husby asked me if I was going to glow in the dark since I would be radioactive...he always knows how to take my mind off of the sadder things by making me laugh.

I start back to work tomorrow, and I am worried about having the stamina to push through from morning until night.  Please send those energy vibes my way this week...I am going to need them.  Until next time, I love you all.

xoxoxo- K

1 comment:

Kim said...

you are so strong, kimberly. thank you for keeping us updated as i do think and pray for you often. also, i'm so glad you have a great hubs in adam to help you push through all of this. you deserve the very best. xoxo,
~K