Thursday, October 27, 2011

A New Man (Doctor) and The Plan

Yesterday, I went to see my new doctor...he is wonderful!  When I arrived at his office, I didn't even have to wait.  He spent an hour and a half...let me repeat that, an hour and a half...in the room with me.  He completed a very thorough health history for me and my immediate family.  Then, we discussed treatment options.  Finally, he completed a head-to-toe assessment.  When I say "head-to-toe assessment," I mean the type that they teach you in nursing school.  All of my nurse friends will understand this...tactile fremitus, respiratory excursion, abdominal percussion, listening for 60 seconds at the PMI...all of this was included.  I was impressed to say the least.  I even managed to walk out of his office with samples of a new prescription for my migraines...something I have not taken anything but OTC drugs for in years because I hate the side effects of the traditional drugs.  He was quick to suggest something without any side effects...I like it.  Only downside to this drug is that it is mixed with a small amount of water before you drink it, and it is flavored with anise (my family will understand why this is a negative). I digress.

Inpatient treatment is scheduled for November 8th...lucky for me, this is the first day that I am eligible for FMLA.  We made the decision to be aggressive with treatment, so I am being treated with a high dose of I-131.  The doctor made me laugh when he let me know that he was using the term "inpatient" very loosely.  Basically, they will take me into a room, give me the I-131, and leave me there for 3 days.  I can call if I need something, but otherwise, there will be limited interaction.  Anything that I bring with me has to stay in the room because it will become radioactive.  If I could take my laptop, at least I could work on school.  Instead, I will be reading, watching TV, and sleeping.  Not too bad. 

The only negative is that I am really feeling the effects of the hypothyroidism at this point...extreme fatigue, muscle aches, dry skin...you get the picture.  It is making the 12-hour shifts close to unbearable, but I am trying my best to keep up the positive attitude and the smile on my face...whatever will get me through the day.  It could be worse...right?

In preparation for the radioactive iodine treatment, I have to follow a very strict low-iodine diet.  I will follow this diet until after treatment and my follow-up scan.  As someone that eats very little beef, chicken, and pork, I get most of my protein from fish, eggs, soy, dairy, nuts, and beans.  This diet does not fit with this style of eating.  I can't have anything that comes from the sea, no eggs, no dairy, no packaged or processed food, no soy, and no baked goods (including bread).  Basically, nothing that contains iodine or salt.  I can have raw unprocessed nuts and beans prepared from dry.  I can have fresh fruits and vegetables, 4 servings of grains per day (unprocessed), honey, maple syrup, vinegar, 6 ounces of meat per day, oils, and fresh herbs and spices.  As you know, I love to cook, so this diet makes me want to cry.  For breakfast, I ate 2 salt-free Kosher rice cakes with unsalted and unsweetened peanut and flax seed spread with honey, an apple, and a clementine.  For lunch, I am having a half cup of orzo mixed with two cups of spinach, dried cranberries, white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, green onion, and black pepper.  Concord grapes and raspberries are my afternoon snack.  Not a clue as to what I will eat for dinner.  I am going to have to come up with some more salty foods that I can prepare because sweets are not that appealing to me.  The fact that I can use non-iodized salt is a plus.  Now, if only I could find someone to bake me some bread.  I am not a baker, and I would pay someone to bake bread for me.  I have some approved recipes...any takers?

So, that's the update! Until next time, I love you all!

Love- K

3 comments:

Kim said...

if i were a baker, i would bake you bread in a quickie...unfortunately, i'm not and i fear it wouldn't even be edible. so sorry.

also, i hate that you are starting to feel so tired...i could tell when i saw you the other night, but you still always give me that sweet sweet smile of yours. you deserve to rest as much as possible. i know you're probably tired of hearing me say this, but please please let me know if you need anything.
xoxo,
~K

Anonymous said...

Haven't baked yeast bread in a lo-o-o-ng time, but send me your recipes, and I'll see what I can do. Love, G&P

Poodlehead said...

We would love to bake your bread!