Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month

Did you know that September is national "Thyroid Cancer Awareness" month?  That's okay...I didn't either.  It's funny the kind of things you become aware of when they affect you personally.  I have had a lot of people ask me if I knew that something was wrong with me when I went to the doctor.  The short answer is..."no."  Over the past few months, I had felt as if I had a lump in my throat when I swallowed, and my voice would become very hoarse if I talked for an extended amount of time.  All of these symptoms were things that I attributed to allergies and post-nasal drip, so I wasn't too concerned.  I hope that, if nothing else, this will be a learning experience for others.  Of all of the times I have seen a physician over the past five years, I can only think of two times where the physician actually palpated my thyroid.  The lesson to be learned here is that we should be proactive and ask our physicians to check our neck at our annual wellness visits.  Thyroid cancer is the fastest growing cancer among women...it's Thyroid Cancer Awareness month...please ask your doctor to check your neck.



For more information, check out the Light of Life Foundation at checkyourneck.com.

1 comment:

*Yankee Belle* said...

Prayers, thoughts & hugs. You will kick cancer's a$$ and live to help bring awareness to others. God always has a plan for us....even if we don't understand why. :-)