Thursday, January 17, 2008

Advanced Digital Photographic Manipulation

For financial aid purposes, I had to find an elective class to take that would give me full-time status as a student. After thumbing through all of the classes given by the Physical Education Department and some advice from Kimtastic Momma, I decided that if I was going to have to spend time taking another class, I was going to take something fun that I could use in my everyday life. I happened upon a class called "Advanced Digital Photographic Manipulation" that is given by the Art Department. The description for the class stated that this class would focus on taking digital photographs and applying advanced Photoshop techniques to these images. Based on my background, I figured that this would be the perfect class for me.

All I can say is...wow! I know that it will make BlueMomma happy to know that I am learning soooo much. Our instructor has asked us to begin taking as many photos as possible in RAW format to use for the class. Over the past week, I have taken hundreds of pictures...trying to avoid pics of the kids and focusing on things that I find beautiful (i.e. water, flowers, butterflies, trees, vintage signage, etc.)

Today, our instructor told us that he would like to view our images. I was excited because I had taken hundreds of pics. One problem, he hated them...all of them. Since he is an incredibly talented artist/photographer, I should have known that I needed some pics that were a little bit deeper. His first question was, "What are you trying to say?" His second question was, "Why would I want to look at your pictures?" Well, poo! So, right now, I am trying to figure out what statement I want to make...sheesh! Until then, enjoy the pretty pics. They say nothing except, "I took this picture because I wanted to, and I thought that it was pretty."

Pictures That Don't Say Anything

4 comments:

*Yankee Belle* said...

Your prof would spit on my photos then. I am horrible. No creative 'eye'. I think it is awesome tho! and fun too!

Kim said...

i'm glad you found a fun class. wish they had that when i was there because i lurves taking me some pics.

oh, and tell your professor that your pics are saying that they are beautiful as is. especially the doors with the crosses on them. i likes!

Anonymous said...

your professor obviously thinks way too highly of himself and has been watching too much project runway because it seems like he wants to be heidi klum. those pics are fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures! I shoot everything RAW and love me some Photoshop. We must get together!