Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Hand To Hold


The night before my second surgery, I barely slept at all.  I would fall asleep for 15 minute bursts followed by waking up in a panic.  I just couldn't get my brain to turn off.  At about 3 am, I fell asleep long enough to have a very vivid dream.

In my dream, I was sitting in a pre-op room, waiting to go into surgery, and sobbing uncontrollably.  None of the strangers in the room were able to comfort me.  I looked up at one point and saw a familiar face walking down the hall towards me...a friend...swooping in to rescue me.  She walked in dressed in surgical scrubs, shooed everyone else out of the room, sat on the edge of the bed next to me, held my hand, told me it was all going to be okay, and then, gave me some good medicine to help me relax...then, I woke up again.  This time, I had a smile on my face.

I had to smile because, for me, I know that this friend is filed away in my brain under the label "calming nurturer."  This friend lives many, many miles away, and unfortunately, I have not seen her in years, but we have stayed connected thanks to the marvels of modern technology.  I had to share my dream with her.

Little did I know, but the night of my dream, she had been praying for me along with a list of several others.  She had asked that our pain and suffering be relieved and that our loads would be lightened.  We were both happy to know that those prayers had been heard.  I told her that sometimes all we need is a hand to hold.

Over the past couple of days, I have gotten more hands to hold via email from others, thanks to my wonderful friend.  They have put a smile on my face, made my heart feel happy, and put my mind at ease.  It's good for the soul to have friends like that.

No comments: