Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Time To Start Blogging Again

I was thrilled when I received my acceptance letter for school last month, but of course, with any new program, there are a variety of hoops that you must jump through before you are officially “in.”  One of those obligatory “hoops” just happened to be a physical exam.  I was less than pleased by this requirement after having just seen my primary care physician, my OB/Gyn, and employee health for wellness visits within the past six months and been given the “all clear.”  I continued to drag my heels about meeting this requirement, but finally, I scheduled an appointment with student health services.  If only I had known what a blessing this would end up being.
At my scheduled appointment, the physician asked if I had been diagnosed with any thyroid problems because my thyroid appeared to be enlarged.  Following some lab work, I was referred for an ultrasound.  After the ultrasound, the decision was made to biopsy (deserving of another story in itself).  For seven days, I agonized over what the results may be.  Late this afternoon, I finally received the phone call. 
Luckily, I had enough sense to grab a pen and paper and write as I talked to the physician.  The next few minutes of conversation were riddled with words I wasn’t planning to hear…”atypical nuclei….suspicious for malignancy…refer for treatment.”  What?  Cancer? 
Now, I have joked that the year I turned 30 was going to be a big year for me, but this was not exactly what I had in mind.  The serial optimist in me believes that everything is part of a larger plan and even good things can come out of things that are bad.  Luckily, I have wonderful family and wonderful friends that I know will be with me every step of the way.  The next step is to meet with the ENT to discuss a plan.  Until then, channel those prayers and good vibes in my direction.  I will keep you posted.  
xoxoxoxoxo
Love- K

3 comments:

A Mom to Two Lil' Ones said...

Praying for you.

-Anne Hill

Kim said...

oh, kimberly. i truly don't know what to say, but like you tend to be a serial optimist so i'm hoping for the very best. know that i'm definitely thinking and praying for you. XOXO,
~K

Mrs. Critti said...

You call if you need ANYTHING. :-)