Thursday, August 11, 2011

Putting Together a Plan

I tend to brag about UAB hospital to others.  The fact that I work there plays into the equation, but I honestly believe that this institution is at the top of the list when it comes to cutting edge research and some of the most gifted healthcare professionals in the nation.  Of course, like most of us these days, I embarked on a Google quest to find the best ENT surgeon out there to perform my surgery.  Lucky for me, one of the most notable surgeons just happens to work for UAB, and I was able to get an appointment for next Thursday to discuss the surgery and do some more lab work.  


All of this is really starting to sink in, and I have to admit that I had not felt much more than numbness and a whirlwind of thoughts until last night.  After the kids were in bed, I was moving through my usual bedtime routine.  When I finished brushing my teeth, I turned around and saw that The Husby was laying on the bed watching me.  He held out his arms for a hug, and I collapsed next to him in tears.  He always seems to know exactly what I need, and this was exactly what I needed.  

Trying to explain all of this to my kids has been difficult because I don't really know what to say.  StickyBun-Scotti is oblivious to it all for the most part, which is fine by me.  The Fred is a different story.  She is a listener.  She overhears a conversation and comes up with a million questions.  I have tried to be very honest and direct in answering her questions, but I'm not sure that she understands.  I laughingly joked with Aunt AllyCat yesterday about how I was sure that someone had written a children's book for this kind of thing.  Sometimes, I just feel like I need an instruction manual.  

Hopefully, I will walk away from the appointment with the doctor next week with a plan for the coming months.  All of this waiting is in opposition to my desire to be in control, but I am going to be patient.  Until then, love and hugs to you all!

Love- K

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I'll write the foreward to your children's book!