Monday, June 2, 2008

Monarch Butterfly Waystation



I wanted to find a fun project to do with the kids over the summer, and my interest was peaked by an article from Family Fun magazine on creating a Monarch Butterfly Waystation. Due to the widespread use of herbicides, milkweeds and nectar sources that are necessary for monarchs to reproduce and survive migration are steadily declining. The purpose of the Monarch Butterfly Waystation is to provide an ideal environment for the monarch to develop.

With the help of a few different websites, MonarchWatch and The AltaPass Foundation, we were able to create a small monarch habitat. Finding viable milkweed proved to be the most difficult part of the process. Luckily, we had some family connections in the nursery business that were able to provide us with clippings that had monarch eggs.

One of the eggs developed into a very cute caterpillar that almost ate up all of our milkweed before deciding to form his chrysalis. In 10-14 days, we should have a monarch butterfly that emerges. Within a couple of days, we will help him build some reserve strength with nectar and release him into the wild to continue his energy storage for migration.

The kids have enjoyed watching the process, and we are planning to plant a butterfly garden in our yard to encourage monarchs to lay eggs there for next year. I will keep you posted with pics and hope to catch the emergence on video. Definitely a fun activity to do with your kids!

6 comments:

Hear Their Everywear said...

That is awesome and way more ambitious that I! Please post to show if/when the egg(s) hatch. I know sometimes they can be fickle. During the crystilis (sp?) stage it turns almost lime green! LOL Enjoy!!

Hear Their Everywear said...

OK...I missed that it was already there, so ignore half of my original comment. I am still impressed!

Kelly said...

What a cool idea! My mother has a butterfly garden in her backyard, but I've never heard of a Monarch waystation. I agree with HTE, if you have pictures, I would love to see them.

J said...

By far one of the coolest posts I've read in a while :) I'm always so impressed with you lady! Please share pics!

Julianne said...

Cool idea! Wish I had connections like you do. My son would love this.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Very Neat!