Friday, April 20, 2012

Keep Calm and Dance Trance

As part of my treatment plan, my doctor advised me to begin practices to lower my stress level.  He said that whatever I chose to do, it should be something that I enjoy.  I knew that exercise was probably the best medicine for de-stressing and making sure that the rest of me stayed well enough to fight off this cancer.  Besides spinning, I haven't found much in the exercise world that has held my interest for long.  My doctor kept telling me, "You have to love it, or you will never stick with it."  I started searching my brain for something that I love, and I could only come up with one answer: DANCING.

If I look back on my life, dancing is probably the one thing that I have felt the most passionate about (family, friends, and work aside).  If you had told me at 21 years old that there would ever be a time when I wouldn't be dancing, I probably would have looked at you like you had two heads.  Dance was a large part of my life from a very young age.  After high school, I went on to dance on the dance team at two different colleges.  It was such a large part of me...but life happens.  You get married, have children, and sometimes there just isn't enough time for those things that you are passionate about.

I continued to dance in my head and my heart even after my feet were no longer carrying out the steps.  I love music just as much as I love dancing, and really, the two go hand in hand.  The Husby is convinced that I am the human version of iTunes.  If it is a song, I probably know it.  There really aren't any types of music that I don't like, so my music collection is as random as it gets.  If you can dance to it, I probably love it.

The Fred and I were sifting through VHS tapes (I know, who has those anymore?), and she found several dance competition tapes.  I decided that it was probably time to burn all of them to DVD.  As we were watching each of them, one of them really stood out to me because I remember that it was at a time when I realized just how great of an outlet for expressing myself dance really was.  It was a song that I felt an emotional connection to (even though I had only just turned 15 years old at the time), and I found that I was able to express those emotions through dance.  Now, I know that this was well before I had reached my peak as a technical dancer, but it was a point in my life when I realized that dance would always be a part of me.



For me, music and dance are both great therapy.  I have a physiological reaction to both.  So, after deciding that the solution to my doctor's assignment was to start dancing again, I began looking for somewhere that I could do just that.  While searching for classes, I came across a website for Dance Trance Birmingham, and I was convinced from the beginning that this was the place for me.  How right I was.

Now, I have to admit, it has been a long time since I have danced (8 years to be exact), and it shows.  I am slowly getting the hang of it, and I have to keep telling myself that as long as I am having fun, that is all that matters.  Sometimes I forget that my body is not functioning at 100%, but as long as I am showing up and putting in the effort, I know that I am reaping both the physical and psychological benefits.

I was sitting at work last week and a co-worker asked me about where I was dancing.  I told her all about Dance Trance and explained that basically it was like a hip-hop dance class.  She laughed so hard trying to picture me doing hip-hop that she almost fell out of her chair.  For anyone that has met me after I stopped dancing, I can see why that is so funny.

Next Friday, I will be participating in Relay for Life as a survivor and as a member of Team Dance Trance Birmingham.  I am very proud to be participating with such a wonderful group of women that have the same passion for dance in their hearts.  We will all be wearing Dance Trance gear, and I felt like I really needed to come up with something that would reflect how much I love this place and the therapeutic role that it has in my life.  I decided that I would design a shirt to wear for the event that expresses just that...


I think that pretty much sums up my plan for lowering my stress levels.  Overall, I am thankful for the opportunity to do something that I love and have it make a positive impact on my life and my health.  And by the way, as of my doctor's appointment on Wednesday, I have lost 20 pounds!  That only sweetens the deal.

No comments: